Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Waterlogged


"Water is the only drink for a wise man."  - Henry David Thoreau


I am jumping aboard the "health wagon".  It is March, but most of the people who started in January have fallen off the wagon to make room for me.  The experts all say it is never to late to start a good habit.   I have chosen to start drinking more water.  I drink water and rarely drink soda, but I find it very difficult to drink the required 8 glasses a day.  As if drinking the minimum was not difficult enough, I had to find an online calculator that takes your weight, activity level and climate into consideration.  After completing the questionnaire and finding my desired water intake for maximum health, you will probably be able to find me in the nearest restroom.  I am going to try to meet my goal.  I have started adding frozen fruit to the water to infuse it with flavor. The fruit does give the water a little flavor.   Hopefully, I don't swallow a berry and choke.  Then there is the cold vs. hot debate, does drinking cold water burn more calories than warm or hot water?  Don't forget that you are supposed to drink only filtered water, which gets my brain thinking.
  1. I grew up with an artesian well in my backyard, which spewed out delicious, cold water year round, which I drank, unfiltered.
  2. I drank well water for the first 24 years of my life, which probably contained chemical contaminants, due to the surrounding farms.
  3. As a child, I also drank from a garden hose, which probably contained lead.
There are so many issues with water.  Then I started thinking about my water bottle.

  1.  Glass is not an option for on the go, and I will have to be drinking non-stop or have an IV inserted to get my fluids. 
  2. You are not supposed to drink from plastic, because of BPA and it's link to cancer. 
  3. Aluminum is bad, because if it is not lined the metal will leach and affect the taste of the water and the possible link to Alzheimer's Disease. If your bottle is lined, you are back to the BPA problem.
  4. Stainless is supposed to be the bottle of choice, so it looks like I will be off to find a new bottle . 
I think all of these issues have kept me from drinking my water.  Perhaps there would be fewer issues if I drank more wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment