Thursday, December 6, 2012

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Why do work and life have to get in the way of my fun? I have been busy creating and crafting in the little spare time I have had.  You will get to see some of those projects today.  I am making up for lost time with this post.

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies. These cookies are as impressive as cutout cookies without the rolling and decorating.  These are a great fall treat. You can use your favorite recipe just tint your dough and layer in a loaf pan, refrigerate, slice, and bake.

Beer tasting.  I hosted a beer tasting and invited my friends to bring a six pack of beer (light, dark, favorite, something you would like to try).  We had a great time tasting all those beverages.

Halloween Costumes.  Spaghetti and Meatballs and The Bride of Frankenstein. Inexpensive costumes using things that we had around the house.  The wig was purchased, but all other items were found in our home.

Trunk or Treat.  This was my car's costume for Trunk or Treat at my daughter's school.  I turned my car into a toaster. Previous years costumes have included a spider and a mad scientist lab.

Cakes.  This is one of the cakes I made for a 50th wedding anniversary party.  It was my first time assembling a 3 tier cake. Scary and fun.  I love a challenge.

Thanksgiving dinner.  My parents were the hosts, but I did the cooking. I guess this is the new normal with Mom's health issues.  Hosting in my own home would be ideal, but my kitchen and it's "Easy Bake Oven" just can not make that happen. Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes, sausage stuffing, and cranberry salad were on the menu.  Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes are fantastic!  You can serve these potatoes right away, refrigerate for several days or freeze.

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

5 pounds baking potatoes
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sour cream*
8 ounces cream cheese softened*
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

*you can use reduced fat versions and these potatoes will still taste great

Peel and rinse potatoes, and cut into 2-inch pieces.  Place them in a large stockpot and cover with water.  Boil until fork tender, approximately 18-20 minutes.

Drain potatoes and add remaining ingredients.  Mash and mix well.  To throughly mix you may want to use a hand or stand mixer.  Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.

Transfer mashed potatoes to a shallow baking dish and cover with foil.. Potatoes can be kept warm in the oven, refrigerated or frozen.  Makes 10-12 servings. 

Make-ahead tip:  These can be made several days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.  Preheat the oven to 350F and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot. If freezing, defrost in refrigerator overnight then bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment